South Coast NSW

3 years 9 months ago #91 by telephema
telephema created the topic: South Coast NSW
Hi All,

We've got a roadtrip planned starting at Eden and heading up to around Shellharbour in the first week of March (next week).

I'm interested to hear what ppl think are the must-do shore and boat dives along this stretch of coast?

On the list so far are:

Tasman Hauler - Boat
Tathra Wharf - Shore
Montague Island - Boat (Seals and hopefully GNS??? - what sites?)
Tollgate Island - boat (if weather behaves)
Summercloud, Jervis Bay - Shore
The Gutter, Shellharbour - Shore

What other dives cant be missed? (From a photography perspective)

Its looking like NE's for most of the week. Is this going to be a problem for this stretch of coast?

Are any charters running midweek along this stretch?

Suggestions appreciated.

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #29009 by AB
AB replied the topic: South Coast NSW
Telephema
Tasman Hauler - don't book ahead as sometimes the vis can be very bad, check out the conditions when you get there.
Tahra Wharf - again can have bad vis but can also be so good!
Montague - sites will depend on the prevailing wind. Last time we were there the seals took second place to the dozen or so very friendly smooth rays!

Haven't done the other sites, but maybe include Merimbula Jetty and Blue Pools Bommie at Bermagui.

Alan

quote:

Originally posted by telephema

Hi All,

We've got a roadtrip planned starting at Eden and heading up to around Shellharbour in the first week of March (next week).

I'm interested to hear what ppl think are the must-do shore and boat dives along this stretch of coast?

On the list so far are:

Tasman Hauler - Boat
Tathra Wharf - Shore
Montague Island - Boat (Seals and hopefully GNS??? - what sites?)
Tollgate Island - boat (if weather behaves)
Summercloud, Jervis Bay - Shore
The Gutter, Shellharbour - Shore

What other dives cant be missed? (From a photography perspective)

Its looking like NE's for most of the week. Is this going to be a problem for this stretch of coast?

Are any charters running midweek along this stretch?

Suggestions appreciated.

Pete

More
3 years 9 months ago #29020 by Shadowkiller
Shadowkiller replied the topic: South Coast NSW
Well Peter, any chance of you ditching the tanks? [^V^]

From S-N.

Tathra Wharf is a must for me, 95% magic conditions, 5% horrible, near drowning experience... And you might get a crack at Lord Howe Butterflyfish.

Blue Pools, the rock/swim-pool is awesome for nudis, especially at night.

Ulladulla Lighthouse can be magic, especially the deeper drop-offs in front of the main bommie. King Wrasse. Nuff said.

Currarong Wreck Bommie - nice wreck, very shallow, no need for silly tanks... :D

Greenwell Point (Nowra) - estuary diving. I find it fun, others worry about the bull sharks. Or come visit for the oysters! *Associate of mine owns Clark Oysters*

Shellharbour - ok, The Gutter for Weedy's which you never get down south eh? OR the Bull aka Lou's Rock for GNS, Nannygai, Trumpeter, Snapper, etc. Pretty solid population of sharks, maybe half a dozen atm, but keen to get to know you. Have had two friends bitten in the last 3 years, so lay of the spearing of snapper and kingfish if not keen on shark tattoos.

While up this way feel free to collar me for up-to-date conditon reports and maybe a night dive in Wollongong Harbour?

More
3 years 9 months ago #29027 by TwoDogs1969
TwoDogs1969 replied the topic: South Coast NSW
Its hard to get someone to take you there but the Empire Gladstone at Merimbula is one of the best dives I have done. Would definitely do this over the Tugs.

More
3 years 9 months ago #29031 by recd
recd replied the topic: South Coast NSW
Not a shore dive but: In Jervis Bay, I counted 11 grey nurse sharks, at Bowen Island on Wednesday. They were in less than 10 metres of water, maybe because it was 20-21 degrees at that depth, but 16 degrees round the corner at 24 metres. The LDS runs boat dives there if the wind is southerly. For northerly winds seem to dive on the point perpendicular side.

Personally,for shore dives, Hyams beach, left of the boat ramp, is a better shore dive than Summercloud Bay. Plus there is a good coffee shop at Hyams.

More
3 years 9 months ago #29054 by telephema
telephema replied the topic: South Coast NSW
Thanks for all the suggestions. Currently up in narooma after having great morning out at montague. Conditions were near ideal and some divers had GNS at 20m on there way to 35 to look for it. I missed but the rays, Jackos and seals kept me busy. Last night a snorkel in blue pools at bermagui turned up 4 species of nudis and an occurs. Onshore swell kept me out of tathra wharf (damn... Crazy entry!) but got two dives in at merimbula wharf. More crazy entries and swell stopped me diving green cape but City and pulpit rocks look amazing from boat. Tommorrows plans are a shorey with a local and a critter dive under nations wharf. Keep the suggestions coming from narooma to shellharbour. Shadow: pm me your number and we'll catch up if I make it too the gong.

More
3 years 9 months ago #29065 by michaelk
michaelk replied the topic: South Coast NSW
quote:

Originally posted by telephema

Currently up in narooma after having great morning out at montague.

Who did you dive with at Narooma? My wife wants to dive with the seals but I've only found fishing charters in that part of the world and it seems that for diving, they mainly cater to groups rather than a couple.

We're planning to go out with the guys at JB later this year, but a backup plan would be good.

More
3 years 9 months ago #29101 by telephema
telephema replied the topic: South Coast NSW
We went out with narooma island charters. I think they do fishing and island tours, but the skipper is a passionate diver. A nice relaxed charter... Not super professional but that's the way I like it.

For the record, my remain dives this week were at delmeny boat ramp(shore), guerrilla bay (shore), bawley point (shore), jones beach (shore) finishing with a double dive at Bowen Island (boat had a group of 5 GNS in 12m). Great stretch of Coast that I won't be a stranger too.

More
1 year 5 months ago #302457 by wade85
wade85 replied the topic: South Coast NSW
Just back from Bawley ( have probably dived there 30 times in 2 years) and it is completely different after the big storm that washed the gantry away. More rock clusters and bolders than before. First time i saw a cuttlefish - size of a fat football along with 10! big octopus.

Highly recommend even if you were bored of bawley in the past.

More
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.