Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney Dive Sites

3 months 3 weeks ago #303528 by jschum403
jschum403 created the topic: Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney Dive Sites
Hello,

We will be stopping in Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney during a trip to Australia in late October 2018 and I am looking for recommendations on where to dive. I only plan to dive a day or two during our trip and want the best experience available. I am most interested in seeing a variety of sea life. I am not interested in any wreck diving. I will be by myself so I will need to dive with a group.

Any recommendations on dive sites and dive companies is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #303533 by The Padi Police
The Padi Police replied the topic: Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney Dive Sites
If fish and flowers are your thing and a day is all you have the Yongala is probably your best bet. You'll need to travel a couple of hours down to Townsville from Cairns but well worth the effort. Plenty of big pelagics.. oh and the wreck of a 19th century ocean liner.

adrenalindive.com.au/the-s-s-yongala-wreck/

www.yongaladive.com.au/dive/ss-yongala-day-trip/
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by The Padi Police.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jschum403

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #303534 by AB
AB replied the topic: Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney Dive Sites
Probably get fined trying to drive the 350 km from Cairns to Townsville in a couple of hours, though the Yongala is certainly a good dive! The day trips to the reefs out of Cairns are not well regarded as good dives. The 4 day liveaboards are well worth it, but if you only have a day or two, maybe dives out of Brisbane might be better.

Contact Go Dive www.godive.com.au in Brisbane and tell them what days you are available to dive. See if you can get to the dives at North Stradbroke Island, particularly Flat Rock and Manta Bommie. Lots of fish, Leopard Sharks, Mantas, Shovel Nose rays, and others. Mantas are seasonal, so ask what critters will be around during your stay. Weather will determine the conditions, but hopefully you will have memorable dives.

Alan
The following user(s) said Thank You: jschum403

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #303535 by The Padi Police

AB wrote: Probably get fined trying to drive the 350 km from Cairns to Townsville in a couple of hours, though the Yongala is certainly a good dive!

"I must pay that speeding fine before I get on the plane home." - said no visiting driver ever.

You could get a Greyhound from Cairns to Townsville, do the Yongala, then fly from Townsville to Brisvages.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #303536 by watsea
watsea replied the topic: Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney Dive Sites
If you are in Brisbane, the wreck HMAS Brisbane out of Mooloolaba, on the coast north of Brisbane, is diving that you can do in day trip (including the drive from Brisbane to Mooloolaba) from Brisbane.
Two professional outfits do double dive boat trips to the wreck from Mooloolaba. October is likely to be pretty good sea conditions, though of course the site is weather dependent.

scubaworld.com.au/
www.sunreef.com.au/

I have not dived with either business as always dived there using a private boat and permits.
Easy wreck dive, great fish life. Plenty of Youtube clips available to check out the diving.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #303537 by AB
AB replied the topic: Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney Dive Sites
"I must pay that speeding fine before I get on the plane home." - said no visiting driver ever.

But most visiting divers would be driving a rental car, and they may not be able to duck a fine. Looking at the forums, it seems that unpaid fines will be paid by the hire company and charged to the visiting driver, plus a hefty admin charge.

Procedure Traffic Fines!
By default Hertz transfers all responsibility concerning traffic violations towards the renter of the vehicle. According to Article 14.2 of our General Terms and Conditions of Sale, the renter is responsible for any traffic violation that occurs during the rental period. In such case Hertz charges the renter for an administration fee and the renter will need to pay the actual traffic violation in a separate settlement with the proper Authorities.
It is however possible that Authorities, by lack of mandatory information, require Hertz to pay for the traffic fine. In that case, Hertz will charge the amount of the traffic fine + an administration fee.
Procedure Parking Fines!
Due to a change in Belgian legislation dating March 1, 2004, Hertz is required to pay the parking fine immediately on receipt of notification. Therefore, Hertz will charge for the amount of the traffic fine + an administration fee.

Alan

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #303538 by The Padi Police

But most visiting divers would be driving a rental car, and they may not be able to duck a fine.

Yes, no, sort of!

In NSW the registered operator is liable for all parking fines, so if you cop a parker in a renter car they will hit your credit card for the full amount of the fine plus the customary processing fee.

For camera fines the registered operator is only required to nominate the driver via a statutory declaration. The SDRO then sends the fine directly to the nominated driver and I'm sure the rental company will also hit your credit card with the obligatory processing fee.

Police issued fines go directly to the driver so the rental company will never know you got one.

All unpaid fines go to the SDRO for enforcement which results in RMS business restrictions. i.e. your drivers licence and vehicle registration gets cancelled until you pay up. If you don't hold a NSW licence or own a NSW registered vehicle, the sanction will have no effect.

I'm pretty sure all the other states are similar.

You could always do what the crooks do. Hire the car for a day, cancel your credit card then not return the car and run a muck.

More
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.