Best Australia diving in spring???

6 months 5 days ago #303416 by yasmin
yasmin created the topic: Best Australia diving in spring???
Hi, my dad is coming to Australia this spring (around sept-october) and I want to take him diving somewhere in Australia. I live in Canberra and he will be going to Adelaide. Does anyone have any recommendations of the best spots to dive during this period of the year? Especially around Adelaide/Canberra regions? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 5 days ago #303417 by AB
AB replied the topic: Best Australia diving in spring???
Yasmin, are you a diver? Also, do you know what sort of diving he likes to do? Australia is blessed with a huge diversity of diving, from spectacular cold water reefs to deep wrecks to coral. We need to know if he prefers wrecks or reefs, warm or cool waters.

Canberra has it's own coastal diving at Jervis bay, mainly centred on marine life. There are good dives along the southern NSW coast as well. Adelaide also has some good dives, but mainly jetty dives focusing on marine critters.

Without knowing your preferences and budget, it's hard to point you to the best dives for you.

Alan

More
6 months 4 days ago #303421 by yasmin
yasmin replied the topic: Best Australia diving in spring???
Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I am a diver. We don't want to spend a lot of money and would prefer to do the dives by ourselves rather than with a tour guide or the like, so shore dives/jetty dives would be great. It really doesn't have to be the most spectacular, or a particular type of diving, but I just want to make sure we go somewhere where we can get the best of that area.

Basically what I am most worried about it, because we will be set in the dates we are there, going to an area which has the best chance of having good diving conditions during that period of the year. I have no idea about areas in Australia which are affected by storms/ rough seas, algal blooms, visibility, or the presence/absence of sea life, for example. I would be happy to fly somewhere other than Adelaide and Canberra if that means that our chances of being able to get a few good dives in are increased a lot more, if that is what you would recommend.

Thanks!

More
6 months 4 days ago #303422 by AB
AB replied the topic: Best Australia diving in spring???
OK, I can recommend some shore / jetty dives out of Adelaide, but you will need a car.
Rapid Bay jetty is less than 1 1/2 hours south of Adelaide, and is famous for leafy sea dragons. They are not easy to find, but there are lots of other things to see while you are searching. Nearest Air is in Adelaide.
vimeo.com/199531989

Port Noarlunga Jetty is close to Adelaide and connects to a reef. The outer half of the jetty is off limits to fishermen so there are lots of fish and the reef is interesting to poke around.
vimeo.com/199775344

Both these jetties have a long walk to the entry point, so a hand trolley is highly recommended to cart your gear, just lock it to the jetty near the entry point so it will be there on your return.

There are lots more jetty dives a few hours drive westward on the Yorke peninsula like this one at Edithburgh. vimeo.com/199929910

Southern Australia can be variable in it's weather, so you just have to check Adelaide's weather before you go. Melbourne also has good pier dives, but not so good at that time of year. There are a few decent shore dives along the NSW south coast as well. It has been a long while since I was there but Hyams beach in Jervis Bay might have some baby Port Jackson sharks around then and then there are the Merimbula and Tathra pier dives. Again, weather can be variable along the south coast so you need to check it closer to the time.

Hope this helps!

Alan

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #303484 by PaulD
PaulD replied the topic: Best Australia diving in spring???
Hi Yasmin,

If you're in Canberra Jervis Bay is a fantastic place to dive and only 2 - 2 1/2 hours drive away via Main Road 92. Lots of great shore dives there and 2 dive shops if you need air or boat dives etc.
My 2 main picks that time of year in JB for shore diving would be at the boat ramp at Murrays Beach, enter on the west side of the ramp and follow the reef away from the ramp.
The other spot would be Hyams Beach. Plenty of reef on both close to shore and at that time of year there will be heaps of Port Jackson Sharks around to look at. They are pretty cool and can't hurt you.

Paul
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by PaulD.

More
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.