East Coast - Great Barrier Reef and Yongala

10 months 2 weeks ago #302985 by alfinoz
alfinoz created the topic: East Coast - Great Barrier Reef and Yongala
Hello,

I just wrote another post about the West Coast.

It's my first trip in Australia and I will be in Brisbane on the 16th. I'd like to dive in the Great Barrier Reef and the Yongala.
I wonder if anyone could suggest any specific dive shop for these two sites.

Someone told me that in Australia dive sites limit dives to 20 minutes (rather than whatever time it will take me to get to 50 bars). Is that true? In all dive shops?

Thank you
alfonso

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #302986 by AB
AB replied the topic: East Coast - Great Barrier Reef and Yongala
Alfonso,
You will find Australian dive operations will allow you to make the most of your dive, and depending on the site, allow you to finish with 50 bar! There are some sites where depths and conditions require shorter dives, but I've not heard of any as short as 20 minutes. Most of the dives I've done on the Yongala were longer than 40 minutes.

I've moved your posts to the Australian Diving Destinations forum as it is more appropriate than New Diver forum.

Hope your diving in Aus is amazing!!

Alan

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #302987 by alfinoz
alfinoz replied the topic: East Coast - Great Barrier Reef and Yongala
Thank you Alan!

Is there any guide that will suggest me friendly and nice dive shops in East and West coast?

Any suggestion on boats for the Great Barrier Reef? Are they a good deal or better to dive from shore?

Thanks
afonso

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #302988 by AB
AB replied the topic: East Coast - Great Barrier Reef and Yongala
Alfonso,
Google is your friend re finding dive shops in any area. The quality of service and equipment from Australian shops is usually pretty good, so it's just a matter who can service you best for the dates you wish to dive. I've dived Exmouth and the Ningaloo reef with Exmouth Dive Centre many years and at least one owner ago, so can't really say how they are at present. If you can, dive the Navy Pier, and Blizzard Ridge!

Diving the Great Barrier Reef is best done on a live aboard boat as they can get you to the best parts of the reef. Mike Ball seems to get lots of excellent reviews, but I haven't been on this boat. The day tours out of Cairns often visit heavy traffic reefs. Parts of the Ribbon Reefs and Osprey Reef can provide the sort of diving the GBR is famous for.

There are a couple of options to dive the Yongala, but I would recommend Yongala Dive at Alva Beach. The wreck is amazing with marine life, but can have current over it. Here is a video of my last visit 4 years ago. vimeo.com/52284896

Alan

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #302989 by alfinoz
alfinoz replied the topic: East Coast - Great Barrier Reef and Yongala
Thank you Alan! I am starting to get few good insights!

More
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.