Diving the ex HMAS Hobart

10 months 4 weeks ago - 10 months 4 weeks ago #302934 by AB
AB created the topic: Diving the ex HMAS Hobart
Part 2 of our SA dive safari last week, and to tick off 5 of the 6 scuttled warships in Oz, we dived the ex HMAS Hobart, off Rapid bay in South Australia. This is a similar ship to the ex HMAS Perth and Brisbane, so interesting to compare the different locations. Current sweeps this wreck most of the time, but during the monthly 'dodge tides' it is possible to do a double dive without having to fight the current.

The current does feed the encrusting life on the wreck and it is as rich as any of the others. Everything is smothered, making the ship quite colourful. There seems to be plenty of fittings retained throughout the wreck to maintain interest, especially toilet bowls!

While there wasn't huge schools of fish on the wreck, there were enough to make it interesting, and no Great Whites, which occasionally visit the wreck. Quite a few divers were trailing Shark Shield electrodes which was another hazard to avoid!

We dived with Underwater Sports, on their boat Alladin, and the crew of Chris and Russell made our day easy and enjoyable, plus snags for lunch!

The vis wasn't fantastic, but you can still see most of the features in this video vimeo.com/199743166

Alan
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by AB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #302939 by watsea
watsea replied the topic: Diving the ex HMAS Hobart
Alan,

Watched your video ALL the way through. Yes, not as many fish as the Brisbane. I noticed the similarities of the Hobart and the Brisbane. My wife's brother did some of his Naval service on the Brisbane and, because it is a sister ship to the Hobart, helped provide some information about the Hobart to some SA folk around the time of its scuttling.

Some observances on your video during your surface interval period were the number of other dive boats in the background. Obviously all were there for the dodge tide. At the Brisbane, private boats book the public mooring and while you are there, the only other moorings are the two private moorings which are only sometimes occupied. So sometimes no boats or only up to two.

We are planning for some jetty dives at Rapid Bay, York Peninsula and some ponds around Mt Gambier, after jetties on Mornington Peninsula during Feb. No plans for the Hobart though. We have not been to Vic and SA since 2014. :) :)

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #302940 by AB
AB replied the topic: Diving the ex HMAS Hobart
Watsea,
Thanks for your perseverance! I have posted videos of Rapid bay and Noarlunga jetties we dived, and will post a video of Edithburgh Jetty tomorrow. Underneath Rapid is currently covered by light algal fluff, which is making the vis for filming difficult. Noarlunga was fun, and Edithburgh, while not producing any dragons, was an excellent dive.

You are right about crowds during dodge tides on the Hobart!

You will have a ball under Blairgowrie marina in Vic if you are good at spotting nudis!

Alan

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #302941 by watsea
watsea replied the topic: Diving the ex HMAS Hobart
AB,

Haven't spotted your Noarlunga video yet. Where in diveoz?

My seeing eye-buddy (nudie nerd) will help find the nudies at Blairgowrie. Looking forward to see some weedies at Flinders too.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #302942 by AB
AB replied the topic: Diving the ex HMAS Hobart
Sorry Watsea, I posted the Noarlunga video on my fb and my club's pages but not here as it was a freediving site for us .

Here's the Noarlunga video vimeo.com/199775344

Alan

More
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.